Skip to content
- YB and Red Star Belgrade separate in the playoff first leg of the Champions League in Bern 2: 2.
- The VAR and Joker Guillaume Hoarau save the Berners at least a draw.
- The second leg in Belgrade will take place next Tuesday.
No, the 2: 2 is not a desired result for the Young Boys. And yet hope for the Champions League after the playoff first leg against Red Star Belgrade seems intact. Above all, this hope has a name among the Bernese: Guillaume Hoarau. The recently battered Frenchman came on in the 73rd minute – seconds later he was already in the center.
VAR decides in favor of YB
Nicolas Moumi Ngamaleu gripped his heart and threw the ball into the box and went down after a duel with Richmond Boakye. A normal duel? No, referee Danny Makkelie decided after consulting the video footage. The Belgrade player had hit Ngamaleu slightly but decisively on the leg. Penalty.
Hoarau took the responsibility and utilized sovereign to 2: 2. The 35-year-old veteran also ensured that in the penalty area of Belgrade a different wind blew than long stretches of the game before. The Berne twice missed the lucky punch twice:
- 84th minute: Hoarau takes advantage of an insecurity from Red Star goalie Milan Borjan to head the ball on the head. Defender Marko Gobeljic saves shortly before the line.
- 89th minute: After a Fassnacht flank comes Hoarau in the penalty area to the header, but missed the goal just.
The reasons for the missed victory of YB are not on the offensive, but on the defensive. Red Star scored three shots on goal to score two away goals and take advantage of the return leg.
Memories of 2018
The game had started optimally from the perspective of the Young Boys. Roger Assalé brought the Berner into the lead after just 7 minutes. Defender Milos Degenek made it from a corner to equalize (18 '). Shortly after the restart, it was Mateo Garcia Ezequiel who even put the visitors ahead (46 ').
Lost for the Young Boys after the 2: 2 is still nothing. Above all, the Swiss champion should also be encouraged to remember the last year. At that time they traveled with a 1-1 draw to Dinamo Zagreb and qualified with a 2-1 away win for the first time for the Champions League.
Broadcast reference: SRF two, sportlive, 21.08.2019, 20:10