- When 4-0 in Customs Gibraltar, the blatant outsider in Group D, for Switzerland neither stumbling block nor barometer.
- After the break, the late goal Mario Gavranovics (87) marks the rare climax.
- The second victory in the European Championship qualification keeps the national team in third place, the sequel follows from October 12th.
The modest capacity of the opponent, the world number 198, made the task for the Swiss in the 4th appearance of the elimination to the European Championship finals 2020 hardly difficult. Nevertheless, the compulsory exercise with the unconditional victory compulsion had its pitfalls. But the national team presented itself well set on Sunday evening in the Sitten Tourbillon.
The shown in the first half was complacent and Gibraltar at no time an adversary at eye level. With Loris Benito, Edimilson Fernandes, Albian Ajeti and Admir Mehmedi coach Vladimir Petkovic had ordered 4 new powers compared to 1: 1 in Ireland in the starting eleven. Especially through the pages was regularly exerted pressure.
After start-up an intermediate sprint to the break
The shortcoming in the first half hour was the chance analysis. Alone Fernandes missed early in the game 3 times from promising position – and almost pitiful. In addition, Benito hit a cross Breel Embolos only the crossbar (16).
As a result, in the current EURO campaign to Ireland, Switzerland needed the second-longest time to place the ball in the gate of the Gibraltarians. The unsuccessful attempt lasted 37 minutes, but now, due to muscular problems, Kyle Goldwin had to make space between the posts of Dayle Coleing.
For this it was from the moment when the Skore was opened, briskly on:
- 37th Minute: Denis Zakaria rises after a corner highest and worried with his third international goal the long overdue lead.
- 43rd minute: After a soulful flank falls the 2: 0 by Mehmedi by the head.
- 45th Minute: A rich shot of Ricardo Rodriguez brings Red-Weiss already the 3rd goal.
In the continuation no more torn ropes
Unfortunately, the host could not uphold this pace. Instead, he switched to the pause in the economy mode and missed to do something for the goal difference. Only Mario Gavranovic was again successful in the 87th for the final result of 4: 0.
In just over a month, the national team will continue in the European Championship qualifiers – with much less demanding tasks. Between the 12th and the 15th of October, Denmark will be waiting for the first time. 3 days later, the tricky home game in Geneva against group leader Ireland.
Broadcasting: SRF two, sportlive, 08.09.2019 17:30