Skip to content
- Novak Djokovic beat Matteo Berrettini 6: 2, 6: 1.
- The world number 2 starts thus brilliantly in the ATP Finals in London.
- The second game in the Borg group will be played by Roger Federer and Dominic Thiem (21:00, SRF two).
The first ever duel between Djokovic (ATP 2) and Berrettini (ATP 8) was a clear affair. The Serb realized in the 1st set the break to 4: 2 and broke with it the resistance of the Italians early. The outsider also lost the 6 subsequent games and only then sent a sign of life again.
He made his break to 1: 4 in the second round. More was not possible for the 23-year-old. After 62 minutes, the first game of the 2019 ATP Finals was history.
The numbers for the game:
- Djokovic made 8 unforced errors, Berrettini 28.
- The first set lasted only 29 minutes, the second set 33 minutes.
Djokovic starts as desired in the season end tournament, which he could win for the sixth time and thus catch up with Federer. If successful, he could possibly replace Rafael Nadal as number 1 in the world (see box).
Fight for the number 1
Djokovic ends the year 2019 as number 1 …
- if he wins the ATP Finals and eliminates Nadal in the preliminary round.
- if he wins the tournament and loses Nadal in the semi-finals, unless he has won 2 more group matches.
- if he beats Nadal in the final and won at least 1 more in the preliminary round.
- if he loses the final against a third and has won at least 2 more games than Nadal in the preliminary round.
In all other cases, Rafael Nadal finishes 2019 as number 1.
agencies / ste
Watch live streams