To email the article, click here or copy and paste this link: https://magyarnemzet.hu/kulfold/egyre-erosebb-peking-szoritasa-hongkong-korul-9460214/
Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 6:50 p.m.
The one-country, two-system principle could mean the end of Beijing’s work to build a state apparatus loyal to the Chinese Communist Party in Hong Kong. The transformation of the political system of the city, which has so far enjoyed wide autonomy, will probably be decided at the National People’s Congress starting on Friday, and at the same time the leaders of the pro-democracy opposition will be held accountable: 47 politicians and activists were prosecuted .
The Chinese Communist Party is working on building a state apparatus loyal to Beijing in Hong Kong
– at least this can be deduced from the fact that a senior official told the Hong Kong South China Morning Post that at the National People’s Congress starting on Friday, the central government intends to review the electoral system of China, which enjoys broad but autonomous autonomy, funds so that only “loyal patriots” to Beijing can hold any office in the independent city administration of the special administrative area on paper. Under the Chinese constitution, the People’s Assembly is the supreme legislative power of the state: it meets for two weeks each year – although this time the March meeting will be shorter due to the epidemic – and is responsible for key policies, laws, the state budget and key personnel changes. discussion and adoption. Most laws are passed by the standing committee of the assembly
– The National Security Act, which came into force last June and is intended to stifle resistance in the wake of months of anti-government protests in 2019, was also announced here.
A source reporting to the Hong Kong newspaper said the city-state delegation to the People’s Assembly would be briefed on Thursday night on Beijing’s “package” aimed at shaking up Hong Kong’s political system.
– The fact that Hong Kong is ruled by patriots must be a principle we adhere to in the accurate and comprehensive implementation of the one country, two systems principle.
– said Kuo Vej-min (Guo Weimin), spokesman for the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference. Hong Kong returned to China from British colonial rule in 1997 and has enjoyed special rights under the one-country, two-system principle ever since, but analysts say the Chinese leadership never seriously thought this construction would persist in this form, And the events of the last few months, which are also a cause for concern for the international community, clearly suggest that Beijing would abolish the already problematic principle. Hong Kong Governor Carrie Lam, who has confidence in Beijing, will also attend the popular rally, and the politician has already predicted, according to Reuters:
its government is fully cooperating with Beijing in “improving” the political system.
Marathon bail hearing enters its third day as Hong Kong democracy activists return to court in mass subversion prosecution
Prosecutors ask to remand them in custody for three months to give police time to build their case
Defence lawyers push for bail pic.twitter.com/ktlZ7cFu4Q
– AFP News Agency (@AFP) March 3, 2021
The British daily The Guardian recalled that in parallel with the construction of a loyal state apparatus, the pro-democracy opposition was being held accountable: only last weekend, forty-seven members of the pro-democracy movement were detained by the local police for failing to participated in an informal pre-election of legislation in the semi-autonomous territory. In January, 55 activists and former lawmakers were arrested for their role in the pre-election.
The arrests have been the most significant official action against the Hong Kong democracy movement since Beijing introduced the new National Security Law last June.
China’s police crackdown of democracy activists in Hong Kong. pic.twitter.com/IcAo2OqdP1
– Tarek Fatah (@TarekFatah) March 2, 2021
A 16-year-old pro-democracy protester was also sentenced to life imprisonment yesterday. The boy, whose identity could not be disclosed precisely because of his young age, admitted that he had once been involved in the riots and threw a lighter bottle at the police. More than ten thousand people have already been arrested for the riots of 2018-19, forty percent of them students.