Monday, April 19, 2021
- Advertisement -
Home Breaking News The Huffington Post: Want to reduce the risk of covid? Sleep...

The Huffington Post: Want to reduce the risk of covid? Sleep more

Updates: 30.03.2021 14:10
Released:

London – The pandemic continues, with a number of unresolved issues and unanswered questions. One of them that deserves further investigation is the relationship between covid-19 and poor sleep, wrote the news server The Huffington Post. We already know that these two things are connected. An analysis of sleep studies found that sleep problems affected about 40 percent of people during a pandemic – and those who became infected with covidem-19 seem to have more difficulty sleeping.

Now, a new study suggests that if you had sleep problems before coronavirus infection, or were completely exhausted and burned out daily, then you have an increased risk of not only coronavirus infection, but also a more severe course of the disease.

Every hour your regular sleep is longer is associated with a 12 percent lower chance of covidem-19, according to a study published in the online journal Nutrition Prevention & Health.

Impaired sleep and burnout have previously been associated with an increased risk of viral and bacterial infections. Which is why the researchers wanted to see if covidu-19 was associated with sleep problems as well as stress.

- Advertisement -

For the study, the researchers turned to healthcare professionals in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Britain, and the United States who were repeatedly in contact with patients with covid-19.

They asked them to fill out a questionnaire with questions about lifestyle, health, prescription and dietary supplements, as well as information about how much time they spend sleeping at night or taking a nap, if they had any sleep problems and felt at home. work burns out. About 3,000 healthcare professionals answered their questions, one in five infected with coronavirus.

On average, respondents slept six to seven hours a night. About a quarter of those tested positive for covid-19 reported sleep problems, compared with about a fifth of those who did not become infected. One in five people infected with covid reported that he had three or more sleep problems, including difficulty falling asleep, sleeping without frequent waking up, or the need to take sleeping pills three or more nights a week.

Compared to those who did not have trouble sleeping, people with a higher number of sleep problems had an 88 percent increased chance of covid-19 infection. Each extra hour of sleep was associated with a 12 percent reduction in the risk of infection.

Employees who reported daily work exhaustion and burnout were three times more likely to report a serious course of infection and a longer recovery time. This study was based only on the memories and observations of the respondents, which may be subjective; nevertheless, this matter deserves further investigation.

It is not yet clear why insomnia and burnout are associated with an increased risk of covid severity. The researchers hypothesized that sleep deprivation and sleep disorders can adversely affect the immune system by increasing proinflammatory cytokines and histamines, which can worsen the course of the disease.

They also point to studies linking burnout to an increased risk of colds and flu, as well as long-term problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, musculoskeletal disorders and death from all causes.

According to Minha Rajput-Ray, Medical Director of the UK’s Global Center for Nutrition and Health, co-owner of Nutrition Prevention & Health, sleep is often a neglected area of ​​personal well-being.

“We need good sleep and time to recharge to prevent burnout and its consequences,” said Rajput-Ray. “A better understanding of the consequences of shift work and sleep is essential for the well-being of healthcare professionals and other key workers. Disruption of the sleep and awakening cycle can affect metabolic, immune and even psychological health,” she added.

Britain World attractions sleep coronavirus

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments