There has been an increase in the number of long-term unemployed of 13,600 people during the corona crisis.
Over the past year, there has been a steady increase in the number of long-term unemployed during the corona crisis.
In January, the number of long-term unemployed reached 36,290. Thus, the number has increased by 13,600 in the past year. This is the highest number in almost seven years.
This is shown by figures from the Danish Agency for Labor Market and Recruitment (STAR), which the Labor Movement’s Business Council has adjusted for seasonal fluctuations.
Long-term unemployed are defined by being unemployed at least 80 percent of the time in the past year.
Long-term unemployed make up 28 percent of all unemployed. That figure has risen from about 20 percent before the crisis and is now at its highest level since April 2014.
At the Labor Movement’s Business Council, chief economist Erik Bjørsted points out that crises are particularly difficult for people on the edge of the labor market.
– We have been through a serious job crisis, which has meant that many have lost their jobs.
– As the crisis has dragged on, more people have ended up in long-term unemployment.
– It is self-reinforcing, because when companies are looking for new labor, you are not first in line if you have been unemployed for a long time, says Erik Bjørsted.
Divided by age group, it is especially 25-34-year-olds and 60-64-year-olds who are affected by long-term unemployment.
According to Erik Bjørsted, it is especially unskilled and non-western immigrants who are most at risk of ending up in the job queue for a longer period.
– The longer you stand in the unemployment queue, the further away you slip away from the labor market.
– For society, this means that unemployment is getting heavier. We know from experience that it is difficult to get over it, says Erik Bjørsted.
The Labor Movement’s Business Council believes that from a political point of view, there must be more focus on further education and upskilling of the long-term unemployed.
– It is important that we get equipment for the groups with as good cards on hand as possible, and here upskilling is absolutely crucial, he says.
The number of long-term unemployed covers full-time employees. That is, two people with a part-time job count for one person in the statistics.
/ ritzau /